Thursday, September 15, 2011

Would You Like Cheese on That? Preferences vs Requirements

So I've been stirring up a lot of dust on Twitter lately. Basically I've run into a few women who are taller than the average height, who say that it is a REQUIREMENT for the man they date to be taller than them, with heels on. Now this as a preference doesn't bother me, but a requirement? Cmon. So i proceeded to antagonize, as I do, and ultimately lost the argument. However, I wanted to take the time to defend my argument of preferences vs requirements.

That these women wanted a tall man doesn't bother me, even though I'm only 5'7" I'm good. Well, I'm already married too so...anyway, my wife last night asked me what was wrong with their preference, and she brought up an interesting point. She said, "Well, you wouldn't date a tall woman, so why you tripping?" I thought about it for a second and realized there was a time when I would've felt insecure about a tall woman, nowadays it don't matter to me. However, I still prefer my woman around my height.
Hypocritical? I think not. Here's the difference. While I would not initially PURSUE a tall woman, if I met one, and the chemistry was there, and she was fine, I wouldn't dismiss it JUST BECAUSE she is tall. Now do I prefer them shorter? Yes. I married short. HOWEVER, if I was single, and I vibe with a woman who was taller than me, as a man, I'm going to say let's at least give it a shot. Now if things don't work b/c of this issue or others, then at least I tried. That's the difference.

A preference is something you'd like to have, like wanting cheese on a hamburger. A requirement is something that is nonnegotiable. So if I brought you a hamburger but forgot the cheese, you'd toss it in the trash because your hamburgers MUST have cheese. I find this ridiculous. If you like burgers, you like burgers, and if you didn't get cheese doesn't mean the burger won't be good. This may be the best cheese-less burger you ever had, but you missing out, AND you're still hungry to boot. Doesn't make sense does it?

Why am I championing this cause when I'm married you say? Mostly to be antagonistic and stir up dialogue. In the end, I can't really care because I'm taken. However, if I was a short single brotha, and I approached a member of the Tulsa Shock, I'd be ticked if she dissed me JUST BECAUSE I'm short. Feels kinda shallow to say it's a requirement. What do y'all think? Comment and respond.

1 comment:

Complex Simplicity said...

http://yakariendva.blogspot.com/