Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fred Hammond on Song Writing

Short post today. So, Sunday night I was up on twitter and one of the gospel greats of our time, and one of the best song writers, happened to be on there as well, he started dropping knowledge about songwriting and techniques and I was able to ask a few questions that he actually responded to. Just thought I'd share with you guys(at least I think I'm sharing with someone). Ladies and gentleman, Fred Hammond:

"Song writers, the way I developed my song writing skill was when I heard beautiful or powerful moments in a song I'd dissect it and get the heart of it or DNA of it & apply the principle of the moment to my writing style. [For example] "I need you more than want you, & i want you for all time"  A very, very simple statement but the back end of the statement "want you for all time" brings the reality of how deep the love is, but keeps the simplicity of the moment.

The whole song is very honest (in its tone) but the describers are very Vivid. I love moments like that, they help my Pen.

The DNA of that moment helps me write moments like "Lost in You Again", "my (SEARCH) will not end till I (FIND ) myself (LOST) in You again." Finding one self lost is usually not a great feeling, but Finding my self lost in the Heart of God. Like imagine I'm free falling, deeper, and deeper into His heart, like i jumped out of an airplane at 40,000 feet with no chute. That's the lost I'm talking about.

SO THEN I ASKED: Are those the same aspects applied when you wrote Hear My Cry and Simply Put?

HIS REPLY:
@lraywill Hallerin Hill & I were fighting back Tears in Ihop while we were writing the Lyrics to that song.  We were Moments away from embarrassing ourselves. It was Saturday morning... Ihop...

There you go fam, straight from one of the greats. I love when an artist tells the meaning or moments behind a song, because it gives the music context and perspective and makes me listen with new ears. Just reading those tweets reawakened the songwriter in me. I think a new era is about to begin.

No comments: