Monday, January 17, 2011

On Becoming a Real Man

Short post today.  Last year I enrolled myself in what I like to call God's University. Really a bootcamp of sorts rebuilding the whole foundation that I'd set my life on. Making sure that foundation is truly set upon the Rock. I'm starting to understand a little bit about how God works in our lives. Building us into men of integrity, and teaching us to live the holy and righteous lifestyle. Through materials, scriptures, and just talking with other brothers who are on my path, all striving for that same greatness, I've kind of sorted out a bit of a pattern. A method to the madness if you will.

Initially of all the books and things I was reading, a lot of them were character focused. Building, cultivating, and growing in the character of the righteous. In the character of a Real Man. In essence God was renewing my mind. Teaching me how to be in but not of this world.  I read at least 6 books along with scripture,  all geared towards the pouring and cementing of Christ as my foundation.  Since then, I've noticed that I am now moving into a new phase of God's curriculum which seems to now be Consistency. First character, i.e., integrity, truth, and humility; now consistency, taking those things I learned at the character level and applying them to my life on a regular basis. Developing positive habits, strengths, and a demeanor that will eventually become second nature.

It's funny how this has changed from my previous approach to my life. How I spent so much time cultivating my gifts and talents because I believed they would lead me to the places I wanted to go in life. However, it is obvious through my failures that it is not only the gifts that matter when you live within the Kingdom. In fact, your gift is the least of the things that matter.  I was talking to my friend and brother on Sunday, Will(twitter.com/thrillineum, follow him!!) and we came to the conclusion that often times people take their gifts to be synonomous with their purpose. In other words, they will take their gift and make their gift the purpose, when the gift could just be a means to get your calling out, a medium if you will. Too often we don't want to take the time to cultivate the intangibles that will make us valuable as individuals, whether gifted or not.You don't have to lie to kick it with God. In fact, you can't lie. The only way to really recieve from Him is to face the truths about who you are and where you are in your life. Only then will you be able to change.

No comments: