Friday, January 14, 2011

I'm Doing Me

"I'll take an L for derailed trains of thought, if it re-routes one track mind." - Reggie Legend

 The above, super-lyrical quote is written by a friend of mine out of Chicago, and probably one of the best poets i've ever met. His book, Steel Waters, along with my readings( or re-reading) of Irresistible Husband really caused me to take stock of the type of mindset that has developed in my generation over the years. Growing up in an over-saturated, materialistic era that glorifies the "DO IT BIG" lifestyle, I'm starting to notice how these things have really subconsciously affected me and my walk in the faith. Before I thought of them as foolish trends that only those who lacked motivation, intelligence, or knowledge of self would follow. In other words, a sheep's mentality. Now I realize that these are not just trends. They have become our culture.

 Culture is composed of customs, traditions, art, music, language, literature, and institutions. Our culture is marked by a steady spread of immoral behavior that weakens family life, promotes disrespect for authority, and insults the practice of personal responsibilty. "Do You" is a phrase often cited, in context it is taken to mean to do what you feel is right, or what suits you best. This mentality while empowering, has taken a new level because it eventually negates any accountability to or from our fellow man. If our actions are questioned, we can simply say "Hey, i'm doing me." and it becomes acceptable. Twitter, facebook, and yes even blogsites have perpetuated a narcissistic and selfish society where we are seduced into thinking that we can do our own thing without thought or concern for others. The "Only God Can Judge Me" and "Stop Hating and Get Money" mentality that is promoted by our culture doesn't take into account the fact that we may hurt others with our actions, only that we fulfill our indulges through immediate gratifications. The Bible calls these the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life.

 This really affected me because I realized that I'd been living my life having adopted the culture around me, not subscribing to the culture that God creates for us, which is one of integrity, goodwill, and forgiveness. I'd become selfish in my dealings. Employing a me-first mentality at my job, in my home, and even with my friends. Seeking reciprocity for every act of kindness and becoming bitter if I was not repayed in the way I thought I should be. Going to work and only looking out for myself. Or indulging in lustful activities, rather than committing myself to my wife and marriage. I was just "doing me", when I should have been doing Him. On another note, I felt it necessary to throw myself into my work, charge my way up the corporate ladder, and force open doors that should have stayed shut.  All the while neglecting my family; using the excuse of a "better life" whenever my wife questioned my motives. Is it better to have a bigger home, nicer cars, and clothes, when you lose your family in the process? Was it worth gaining the whole world to lose my soul? I think we as men have a choice to live by a certain standard, and than standard has been diminished lowered, through our ties to the culture around us, we should be careful of what we take in, lest we allow ourselves to be seduced into a sleep from which  we will never awake.

Peace.

No comments: