Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Peninsula, Maybe

I've learned a lot about myself in the last year. Primarily my co-dependence on friends that has made me weak. I guess I was too busy being a friend, worrying about those relationships that I never paid attention to my own decencies in the character department. Or maybe I hoped to subconsciously live vicariously through those I thought better than me. In any event, the results have been negative to say the least.

They say no man is an island. What if he's forced to be one? How many relationships should a man force or pursue that yield no dividends, in the name of accountability or camaraderie? How long should I try in vain to be apart of something or build something with people who don't share the same interests or intentions? I'm starting to think that being an island is the only way to survive. Hawaii is an island and they get along great. People forget about them until they want to get away for vacations or until hurricanes hit. Sounds a lot like once going on with me right now. Unless there's a crisis, or someone needs to get away from their own problems, there's no need for interaction.  Which is cool I guess. I get a chance to get to know me even better.

So this is the evolution into manhood, huh. This is putting our childhood things behind us. This is growing up. Selah.

No comments: